Loosing car/radio pairing

Doesn't fit anywhere else? Put it here, no way off topic stuff please.

Moderator: schoey

Loosing car/radio pairing

Postby Unshakeable » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:57 am

Just opened my new starter set and developed an issue on it's third use.

Cars worked just fine when I was controlling one and the other was a pace car. I ran several hours without any problems. Last night, my neighbor came over with his new set and we experienced difficulties that we have not been able to reconcile.

We continue to loose control of one or both controlled cars. Usually in less than a lap or two. Everything in my environment has remained the same. According to FAQs, it appears to be interference. Where to look?

Our household consists of a 2.4ghz router and one 2.4ghz woreless repeater; 2 laptops, 1 cell phone and one android tablet. Documentation indicated that this should not be an issue. Currently internet is broadcasting on channel 2, but we also switched to channel 11 with no improvement of problem.

No other 2.4ghz devices in our home. I am going to try to shut off wireless internet in the next day or two (when convenient) to see if that changes my problem.

Any other ideas? A great product proving to be a lot of fun but not if I need to shut off internet every time we want to race.

We are using Nimh batteries (new) in cars and transmitters. All cells are registering 1.26 to 1.41 volts. Would Alkaline batteries help in transmitter?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Scott
Unshakeable

Re: Loosing car/radio pairing

Postby chris » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:13 pm

I've found the pairing to be rock solid in racing. Occasionally when navigating through the menus I do lose the connection.

First try non rechargeable batteries in the controller and car to test it.
Having said that, rechargeables should work ok even with their lower voltage. I use the black Amazon brand AA and AAA rechargeables without any problem.

I don't have any other 2.4ghz things in the house but with all the channels available there shouldn't be any conflict. However, you could test the cars outdoors just to get away from any potential interference in the house.
chris

Postby Unshakeable » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:27 pm

After doing many tests this evening, I narrowed the problem to the batteries in the car.

It appears that new EBL AAA (1100mah) NiMH batteries don't work. A set of older Eneloop AAA (750mah) work fine as do AAA alkaline batteries.

Any idea why? The EBL batteries were very well rated on Amazon - but I guess the proof is in the pudding.

I am going to test and cycle batteries (as well as read voltage under load) to see if I can spot anything.

Any thoughts?
Unshakeable

Postby UncleRobin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:38 am

Too add maybe some revenant info; I have found that as the AAA alkaline batteries start running down, the more frequent the disconnections become.

UR
UncleRobin

Postby Unshakeable » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:51 am

I wanted to offer some follow up after additional testing. Seems like my issues cleared up after cycling AAA batteries several times. They appear to be "soft" when arriving from supplier (Amazon) in this case - maybe setting on shelf for quite a while? I connected a 4x AAA battery holder to a charger I use for my rc planes. Discharged at 1amp and recharged 3-4 times and capacity and overall voltage increased (146 mah to 700+mah for 4 cell "pack" and apparently a increase in stable load voltage - unable to test this one easily). I assume you could substitute a flash light or some other device to cause discharge. Since cycling batteries, we have not had any issues and can easily get 3+ hours of almost solid racing before changing batteries. More than satisfied now and glad I took the time to investigate. Love racing these cars! Have my neighbor and adult son joining with me for weekend racing - truly a BLAST!
Unshakeable

Return to General Real FX chat