Things to try, experiences... and video.

Doesn't fit anywhere else? Put it here, no way off topic stuff please.

Moderator: schoey

Things to try, experiences... and video.

Postby DarkHorse » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:32 am

Edit:Running the camera made the race action stale and dull but the video gives some idea of what it is like enabling “Targeted Hazards” for “Oil Spills” and pit lane drive throughs. Fastest lap 2.6s? Clearly someone cheated! (again).

Although practice mode is good, the best fun so far (with the starter kit :) ) was to run a custom Championship race with everything enabled :mrgreen:.

Enter Championship race (see instructions), then nudge steering wheel forward twice (Novice, Pro, Custom) then squeeze trigger to select, then with the wheel and trigger to select, turn everything ON (we did 40 laps). Note that any low batteries can cause everything the reset if you hear 'communication lost'.
Enable: Tire wear, Fuel consumption (causes pit lane drive throughs).
Random Hazards and Targeted Hazards (in race press player number to target eg. 1 or 2).
Recharge hazard events and damage with a pit lane drive through (via a brief careful RC mode toggle and steer), sometimes pit stops are demanded when handset flashes red.

Fresh batteries, setup custom race and let them rip! The Track Crash Barriers do defeat the object of the racing a little but helps save time as you never come off the track and end up near full throttle all the way round 8-) :twisted:.
Kids love to cheat, hand rolling back and forth over the finish line to add laps :roll:.
Inflicting a Bad Gear Change will slow the other car down for a second and an Oil Spill will cause the car to swerve, sometimes off the track at speed or into the other car for a fish tail spinout :mrgreen: :lol:. Anyway, it is a good high speed battle but we do try to avoid smashing the cars up too much as we'd like this setup to last a while.
DSC_0156_small.jpg
Kid Track Crash Barriers, track edges with HotWheels/FastLanes tracks. You don't have to hit them EVERY LAP!
DSC_0156_small.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 6789 times

A few other settings: During the race, press the 'i' button on both handsets to toggle announcement when passing the start line to Lap Number and Race Position instead of just Lap Time.

Also, at handset startup you can set the handset volume, to say level 2 (of 5) and turn off car engine noises (my personal preference).

Track Editor setup code TABTTTTBBUUTTTTTDBEB

track1.JPG
Orientated to just fit in the free floor space. Clockwise race direction.
track1.JPG (28.79 KiB) Viewed 6789 times

Using batteries branded as Ikea Alkaline - Alkalisk AA and AAA for £1.50/10 pack.
Check out this Battery Comparison Data, Ikea batteries are very price/power competitive at 15p each!
Otherwise if you can’t collect from Ikea direct then maybe try 100 AAA Maplin Alkaline (Extra Long-Life) for £15 delivered (15p each).
Real FX racing rocks! Starter kits now £50 UK Dec 2015

Kids need Track Crash Barriers? Try HotWheels/FastLanes track edges with books, cut credit cards for joins:)

Track Editor.
DarkHorse

Re: Things to try, experiences... and video.

Postby schoey » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:49 pm

This looks great DarkHorse, I hope people are seeing this post, lots of great ideas
Can't wait for my Pro Racing Set Ultimate + Pro-Racing Track Upgrade...

Yep 2 x flyovers :-) !!!
schoey

Postby DarkHorse » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:22 am

Cool, I was hoping that others would also add a few racing experiences to this thread and make it grow.

We’ve been playing with a couple of other ideas.

Super Drift Setup: 8-) Dead easy, just add tape or sticky labels on the rear tyres. Crazy for drifting! Useless for racing and AI assist doesn’t really help much. You have to gently tickle the throttle to get off the mark and moving or the back just comes round and leaves you pulling constant donuts on the spot :mrgreen:. Probably great in RC mode on a large smooth floor, then add your own obstacles to drift around. I expect the batteries would last ages cause it's quite hard to pick up any useful speed.
The intension was to loosen up the rear handling a little to generate a bit more over steer in the sharp corners to help the attitude of the car in the bends. Sadly this is not quite the result I was looking for, yet...

Faster Pace Car Like Setup: :geek: Using an adjustable cable tie to fix a higher throttle in practice mode. Probably helped because we have the DIY Crash Barriers on the bends, set the throttle of the car to just make it around the track without coming off. A bit faster than the pro mode pace car, though effectiveness will depend on your track setup.

Kids need Track Crash Barriers? Try HotWheels/FastLanes track edges with books, cut credit cards for joins:)

Track Editor.
DarkHorse

Postby michaelg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:11 pm

i will try the 'faster pace car' using the zip tie... thanks for the idea!

i've had to add some rubber track barriers to help keep cars on the track, because the four year old grandson just floors it and never tries to twist the steering wheel... ever

but i do kinda like the slower pace car, as it's an interesting obstacle that you can use to 'trap block' an opponent
michaelg

Postby Dinko32 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Nice battery comparison nice if rechargeable list also?
Dinko32

Postby DarkHorse » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:16 am

Real FX Racing - 2 starter kits for a DIY Figure8 with DIY Crossover 8-)

Using 2 starter kits for a DIY Figure8. Built a DIY Crossover, made from 2 pieces of 90cm by 3cm by 1mm strips of metal I found laying around in the garage, or try something thin and easy to bend into smooth arch shape (metal coat hangers maybe). Linked together with card board and packing tape then topped with another wide larger piece of card board.
Using a 'T' bend inverted as a left turn (substitute 'U' type), the white forces the AI mode cars to turn left (although more slippery), plus added a remaining startFinish straight swapped with another 'B' straight to help start the turn into the corner (but hide the unwanted extra startFinish line). Yeah it's a bodge but it works quite well. Pace cars may get a bit unhappy using the white underside of the track as the AI thinks the car has left the track.

The Track Barriers make the race more crash n bash but much more exciting and less frustrating for kids, with more track action time.
Barriers are made from triangles of cardboard /|____|\ (straight edge walls facing the track) and old Hotwheels/FastLanes track tapped to the track underside. The cars tend to ride up the wall (add shiny sticky tape) and can more easily loose a wheel during the race.

To help save handset batteries turn down/off the sound effects:
Turn on controller and press the 'i' button.
At question, rock steering, turn handset volume down from 5 to 1, squeeze throttle trigger to select.
Then proceed to turn off engine noises (annoying to me anyway).
Standard AA handset batteries have lasted many races and continue to maintain connection reliably at 1.3v per cell (regular Ikea Alkaline 1.5v cells). Days of racing lasting more than more than 10 times longer than the battery requirements for the cars.

Charge all the cars AAA cells daily when setup and I use a volt meter to make sure everything is good to go, all fair n square. Each car uses 3x 1.2v Turnigy LSD 900mah Nimh, slower than regular cells but fast enough for quite a few hours of action, my kids mostly run near full throttle all the time anyway (as the barriers allow).

Any Setup Downsides? It does take a fair amount of adult management to keep everything in working order, charged up and to maintain the track/barriers in good condition. One controller needs to be setup for 30 lap custom races (becoming player No. 1 for that controller car pair) and then try to remember who is on the other controller numbers (2, 3 or 4 based on the race joining order), so you then know who to throw Targeted Hazards at when they get in to a lead race position :mrgreen: .
Once the custom championship race has been setup you can re-race the same setup over and over again easily just by pressing one tick button on each controller.

Track Editor setup code BBBUUUUADBEBBBTTTBTTTDBEB note the 2 missing 'U's. Requires about 2.25m by 3.5m (~7ft by 12ft) of floor space. As shown in the 3 vids.
8.jpg
Track Editor setup code BBBUUUUADBEBBBTTTBTTTDBEB note the 2 missing 'U's.
8.jpg (23.2 KiB) Viewed 5735 times

Some alternative layouts (also requiring a bit of track overlap and some sticky tape):
DBEBUUUUABBBBTTTDBEBTTTBBB-track2.jpg
DBEBUUUUABBBBTTTDBEBTTTBBB-track2.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 5515 times

ABBUUUBUUUBBTTBTTTT_smaller.jpg
Smaller Mirror, reverse race direction. Good for faster 4 second lap action. A short Pit can be taped in location shown. Inverted the first and last 'T' turns to replace the missing 'U' turns. A couple of strips of brown packing tape help repel cars getting stuck on the inside of the turn as slower speeds (on the substituted white inverted 'T' sections).
ABBUUUBUUUBBTTBTTTT_smaller.jpg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 5515 times

Here's a few vids of us having a bit of fun. Ages 5,8 and 70+.
This was light hearted but trust me, it gets far more intence when there's more serious head to head racing going on, causing some tearful finishes.

Track Editor.
DarkHorse

Postby DarkHorse » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 am

UPDATE: Smaller track variation, quick action setup.

20160814_102309.jpg
20160814_102309.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
20160814_102327.jpg
20160814_102327.jpg (65.49 KiB) Viewed 5128 times

The walls and chair are useful to help reduce the track from sliding out of shape from car to barrier impacts. Note the brown packing tape in the white substitute “U” bends (inverted “T” because we only have 4x "U" left turns), the brown tape repels the AI assisted steering to help avoid the AI mode cars getting trapped on the inside of the turn (white=full steering left, brown tape=steering right).
The extra spare track run off areas were added to aid faster car recovery and help maintain the race action, easy pit lane access by optional steering during corner exit run off. Lots of sticky tape bodges but we like the game play that the setup provides. A Championship race is quite hectic with 4 cars, 3 seems a bit more manageable. Yields around 4 to 5 second lap times depending on rechargeable battery levels and track grip conditions.

Loosing track Grip? If you leave a setup in place for a while you will notice that the cars start to slide around a lot more, often wheel spinning 180 in the corners and over steering too much. I found that removing/cleaning the dust and hairs with a feather duster, then using a couple of squirts of tap water (eg. from a plant spray bottle) restored grip to the cars. I only spray a couple of straights with a very mild shower of fine spray. After a few laps this seemed to be enough to noticeably reduce the wheel spinning and over skidding about for a few days.

Anyone know any other tips for restoring the wheel rubber condition?
The old Scalextric guys used to add oil to soften old dry rubber (use a small amount, what type?).

Handling problems? Once the track grip is restored, most handling issues seem to be less noticeable. When the track is slippery I noticed that off shaped tyres and any wobbly back wheels will far more easily break traction than a car with such tyre/wheel issues. This is due to the wheels bouncing as they start to pick up revolutions, jumping slightly and breaking traction (more easily stepping the back out and 180'ing the car in the corners).

The barriers do snag the front tyres and easily tug the wheels off the cars. This became too frequent so I used thin modeling tape (thin frosted white looking stuff, normal sticky tape is too slippery for the job), cut little 1 or 2 strips (3~mm wide and as long as the tape width), placing them inside the wheel hubs to take up any fitment slack. Good job and still allows the wheels to be removed if required.

We had the first Real FX set Xmas 2015, 8 months later with the added second set (a couple of months ago), plus some fiddling (I like anyway) and we've had plenty of good racing, both me, the kids and their friends. Tends to be a product we setup for a week or so, thrash for a few hours for a few days and then easily pack away for a couple of months.

Track Editor.
DarkHorse

Postby DarkHorse » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 am

Check this cool track out: http://realfxandhotwheels.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/welcome-to-upland-speedway.html

Image Image

Good inspiring tracks from Dash cohen 8-).
Here's hoping to see some multi car head to head action video battling it out :twisted:.

Track Editor.
DarkHorse

Postby Dash cohen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Soon, very soon,
B
Dash cohen

Postby Dash cohen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks for the props DH, did you know you can buy 5 packs of straights from Hot wheels? you need more track Brother :D 15$ US for 5. the reason I say this is I realise I have a lot of track and space many do not have, but I love to show the potential, and I'm nuts :)
Here's the modified version of the Green Monster, from the Editor,
Green Monsterv1.0.jpg
Green Monsterv1.0.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

and the text,
BBBBTTBBBBTTBBBBVTTTRTSUVTVBVRSSSSSUVTVBBABBUVRRRRVRUTV

BTW, I like to take sections of a track and mix it with other cool sections to make a new track, you might try using bits and pieces from my tracks,
Race on,
B
And there's new video at my blog, http://realfxandhotwheels.blogspot.com/
Dash cohen

Next

Return to General Real FX chat