Performance issues - requesting assistance

Doesn't fit anywhere else? Put it here, no way off topic stuff please.

Moderator: schoey

Performance issues - requesting assistance

Postby MMUSA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:34 am

I just tried out our new Real FX system (USA - from Hammacher Schlemmer - received ~December 10th) and we are enjoying the experience very much. However, I am concerned whether a couple of anomalies we encountered can be corrected (and how) along with the question of when we can expect availability of additional parts (cars, controllers, track, etc.) that can be purchased by USA users who have taken a leap of faith and purchased the Starter System sight unseen and with no technical support.
1. The Red Car likes to hug the inside of the track while the Yellow car (regardless of the controller to which the cars are paired) stays more in the center and uses more of the entire track. This can easily be seen when in Pace Car mode but also effects the way the car performs during a real race. In pace car mode the red car actually rides with a pair of wheels on the rust colored shoulder at times - rarely going more than midway across the width of the track. When both cars are placed in pace car mode, they appear to be traveling about the same speed. Is there an adjustment for this behavior?
2. Several times during the 1-2 hours of racing one of the controllers resets itself - losing the connection/pairing. This may have happened only once with the other controller.
I hope that some issues will be addressable as we proceed with ownership. The most important factor that I can see that will impact the success of this truly novel racing format is the quality and degree of support that users will receive from the development team and/or customer support. If we feel that we are left in outer space to deal and live with our problems, this will not bode well. However, if we are kept in the loop via some authorized and knowledgeable responses to the many questions that have already begun to be asked, then I think we can be quite tolerant as early adopters and help to contribute to the success of Real FX racing.
MMUSA

Re: Performance issues - requesting assistance

Postby jbird » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:59 am

I agree with the latter part of section two, and luckily Hammacher has a good return policy if we are left in space with technical problems to which the manual doesn't address...Cool product though! Hopefully some support shines through!
jbird

Postby fxlew » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:06 pm

MMUSA : Happy to see another USA owner of the Real FX Racing system.

We have not encountered those problems except that whenever a car is set to pace then it will tend to the center of the track and yes go slower than what we would want it to go.
The controllers losing connection is something that we haven't had but we haven't had the set that long. I am sure you will get the answer to change batteries or what brand of batteries are you using, possible interference from other sources in your home or light or shadows causing it etc. It will be interesting to see what is causing that.

Thankyou for your comments regarding our need for some kind of customer service and of course parts availability.
fxlew

Postby CapeGLS » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:33 am

I haven't noticed the pace car issues with my set (also USA) but I agree with FXlew that they go slower than we would like. I had controller connection issues right out of the box with new batteries. Oddly enough, I changed to another set of new batteries and haven't had a connection issue since.
CapeGLS

Postby Graeme_RFX » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi there.
Glad to hear you are all enjoying RealFX Racing!
We are working on an official website for support & advice, but in the meantime, we try to make ourselves useful on here as much as possible.
Regarding your questions:
Speed in Pace Car mode is intended to be consistent between cars, but we may look at adding more 'intelligence' to this mode in future.
There is some variability in opto response between cars, which is only really noticeable in Pace Car mode, when the cars are running at a speed which will keep them in the middle of the track most of the time, it shouldn't really be noticeable when racing :)
Connection loss is almost certainly down to insufficient power. We recommend using good quality alkaline batteries, as some of the poorer quality batteries are weak right from go! There are also some very good recommendations for rechargeable here on the forum.
Thanks for your support - we hope you stick with us 8-)
Graeme_RFX

Postby MMUSA » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:14 am

We appreciate Graeme_RFX's reply. I am sure that as early adopters we can be helpful in providing honest comments about real issues that (hopefully) can be managed quickly, effectively and with minimal down time for us as new owners. 1) We do not have a real problem with Pace Car mode car centering, etc. When we race competitively this does not really matter much. A faster Pace Car would certainly be more challenging and interesting. 2) Resetting of the controller during racing seems to be random with some sessions not having this issue and other times there is such behavior. As long as it does not get worse and remains within the current range of good to fairly good controller pairing, we can probably live with that, as well.

HOWEVER:

Having had a couple of weeks to try out the RFX system, there is definitely ONE performance issue that is, by far, the most important one that we need to address: Our Yellow car simply rarely registers the required signal when it crosses the "Starting Line" as it laps the track. The Red car has little problem with this (just a very occasional missing of the lap registering. This makes competitive racing impossible and we resort to Practice Mode much of the time. Once in a while the car does register the lap but in a 50 lap race yesterday it registered only about 6 laps! Can we have some remedy to this unacceptable situation? Thank you!
MMUSA

Postby fxlew » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:29 pm

WOW more problems are showing up and they all seem to be different.
MMUSA there seems to be only one person that can answer regarding Real FX problems and its seems he is busy with the toy shows going in different countries. It is discouraging in not having some official support.
I hope myself to hang in there for a few more weeks and do the old wait and see routine.

But if I find no support is forthcoming then I will dump this back to Hammacher and let them know of all of our experiences. I am surprised that they signed up for this without checking and verifying the availability of customer service. Knowing of at least one returned to Hammacher, I will take this as far as I can "up the line" with Hammacher administration. Yes of course Hammacher has the full lifetime guarantee that you can return Real Racing anytime and get full credit towards anything they carry. But for me is that in the first year it is no questions asked full MONEY back guarantee !!! But they also need to know that their customers need support on their products.
fxlew

Postby jbird » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:24 am

^^^Exactly, mine is going back tomorrow! Have waited long enough with no response...^^^
jbird

Postby fxlew » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:40 am

jbird I agree. But I will wait a few more weeks to see if anything is announced here in USA. jbird if you get a chance would you please tell Hammacher about the lack of service? If it wasn't for a couple of people here there would be nothing as far as help goes.
fxlew

Postby jbird » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:59 am

fxlew wrote:jbird I agree. But I will wait a few more weeks to see if anything is announced here in USA. jbird if you get a chance would you please tell Hammacher about the lack of service? If it wasn't for a couple of people here there would be nothing as far as help goes.

I put it down in the comments section of the return form!
jbird

Next

Return to General Real FX chat