Car Lights

Note: Everything in here is DIY and at your own risk, this stuff WILL void your waranty

Moderator: schoey

Car Lights

Postby Gacel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi,

Today I did a little project and added lights to the car. The orginal idea was to use the "USB" (not really usb...) port on the cars for power, but it does not provide enough mA. So I attached it directly to the batteries (after the switch).

First some planning. The board on the left is a voltage regulator, converting anything between 2.5 and 6V to a constant 5V. This should help keeping the LEDs bright even when the voltage drops for empty batteries. The resistors are based on the V and mA rating of the LEDs ( R= ( V_Battery - V_LED )/ A_LED )

Testing:

With white frontlights:

Attached in the car:

Front:

Back:

And then there was a problem... every time the shell was closed and I tried to test the car the sensors didnt work anymore. It just did "Pit Stop...Pit Stop... Pit Stop...", so somthign is wrong, but what?
First I suspected stray light from the LEDs to the sensors, so I added more black tape. Then I supected the voltage regulator (it probably does send some high frequency waves). So I removed it since it is not required to work.

Still no luck. After some searching I found the problem. The soldering joint of the switch is very close to the attachment of the sensor cables on the board. Every time the car was slightly bent with the shell it short circuited the front sensor. After fixing this it worked fine.

I am not totally happy with the light distribution of the front light. I have some other LEDs but right now I am too lazy to change it.

Jens
Gacel

Re: Car Lights

Postby chad1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice work!
chad1

Postby dvs-626 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:51 pm

haha looks cool.
Nice work
dvs-626

Postby chris » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:25 am

I don't know how long it would last but I guess you could just use a large 3 volt button style battery and a switch.
chris

Postby michaelg » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:59 am

my grandson noticed that the box top showed working headlights... i hate to think that i'm going to have to add these

on second thought, i love to think that i'm going to have to add these!
michaelg

Postby darkfield » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi, the cables should be to reduce to a minimum. have a look to my idea. Driving direction right side is minus and left side ist plus. If you decided this system you are able to change the bodys with every chassis.
Attachments
IMG_2303.jpg
So, now the cars are looking like the picture on the box!
IMG_2303.jpg (189.51 KiB) Viewed 366 times
IMG_2287.jpg
under the roof there are the contacts with a 33 Ohm resistor for white leds front ( 4x ), and 100 Ohm resistor for the two red leds rear.
IMG_2287.jpg (197.93 KiB) Viewed 366 times
IMG_2286.jpg
contacts are mount at the top af the groud-chassis
IMG_2286.jpg (175.36 KiB) Viewed 366 times
darkfield

Return to Mods/Upgrades