Painting cars

Note: Everything in here is DIY and at your own risk, this stuff WILL void your waranty

Moderator: schoey

Painting cars

Postby pauleden » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:17 am

Evening guys, first post from me! :)

Like many, I suspect, I bought 2 starter sets from Amazon here in the UK - it's a cost efficient way of getting a load of track and 4 cars.

Now of course, but I now have two cars each of the same colour. I've seen a couple of pictures and posts mentioning painted cars and I have no experience or talent at all in this, I thought I'd try to gather comments, hints and tips from those that do.

I was thinking I'd quite like to paint one of red and one of my yellow cars to look like the extra cars that are on sale, so one in black and one in blue. I see the Real FX stickers can be taken off the shell with care.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
pauleden

Re: Painting cars

Postby edd2402 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:29 pm

hi,
you could mask off the windows and use a craft knife to get the neat window edges.
then light rub with some wet and dry fine course sandpaper so the paint will key to the body.
then get some plastic model paint from your local model shop (ideally spray on), apply a very thin fine layer of primer, let it dry. then the same again so just about all the red or yellow is no longer showing and dry again.
apply your first coat of colour again a thin layer leave to dry for hour or 2 depending on room temp. same again, and third time if needed.
then up to you if you do a laqure also but not always needed depending on effect required.
after last layer leave for full 24 hours before handling incase its still setting underneath so you dont leave finger marks in it.

the main key in this is small thin coats as you dont want any air pockets or runs in the paint.

good luck
edd2402

Postby pauleden » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:54 am

That looks like a lot of work! You're going to hate my reply, lol. I mean, I'm wondering if the finish that all that will result in is really worth the effort? The car is whizzing around the track most of the time.

I took the cars to my local arts and craft shop and they said "Don't bother painting, no-one will ever see or appreciate your efforts! Use pen." So I've ordered some coloured (and 1 white) permanent markers and am going to have a try with them. If it looks dreadful, then you can point and laugh at me and say "I told you so!". I will still be able to sand the ink off and go the painting route if required.

Good call about masking the windows though, will definitely do that.
pauleden

Postby edd2402 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:51 am

Good point of them speeding round yes you wont see the detail.
Was actually going to sugest paint pens before but thats the full way to do it if you ever wanted to. same process for rc helicopters, cars etc.
edd2402

Postby darkfield » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:49 pm

hi, I had the same problem. The plastic is not resistant against nearly every solvent liquide. In a hardware store I found a interessting colour: copper!!!!
A test shows that the colour dos not attack the plastik of the car. See the result.
My Copper-Thunder g.jpg
following specs: Suspension front and rear, differential gear with bearings, all axles ball bearing core barrel, lights front and rear. Aloys with original wires.
My Copper-Thunder g.jpg (141.18 KiB) Viewed 542 times
darkfield

Postby Dash cohen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Wash your body with mild dish soap, dry and DON'T sand! Use Testors Model master or Tamiya colors, my paint sticks, and if you decal them like i do, make sure to decal bond them after with Testors Bonder,
Gordon1 (4).jpg
This is why I made my own Website, you can't load a decent photo
Gordon1 (4).jpg (233.27 KiB) Viewed 519 times

http://realfxandhotwheels.blogspot.com/
Go here for really good things, paint, tracks,Banking and more,
Bob
Dash cohen

Return to Mods/Upgrades