Car Bodies

Note: Everything in here is DIY and at your own risk, this stuff WILL void your waranty

Moderator: schoey

Car Bodies

Postby dvs-626 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:18 pm

The team at Real FX have done a great job modelling cars for our Real FX Racing sets.
However i like change every now and then, so the ability to make my car look different is important to me.

Now it has already been discussed that the cars can be 3D printed, which is great for those that have the ability to create or modify in CAD.
Some of us are not so bright in the world of CAD, me being one of them.
So i think we need a section to share CAD creations so they can be taken to the shop to be 3D printed. what do you think?

On the flipside of this, im a big fan of modifying existing models. So we know the scale of the cars are 1:32
Lets say i was to go to my local shop and buy an inexspensive model of a random car that also happens to be 1:32 scale
Now i know that this would naturally not fit straight up, its not meant to. With some modification of the body (not the Real FX chassis) we could possibly get it to work. Now would this void the warranty at all? im assuming not because we are not modifying the RealFX cars, we are simply shaping a new body to fit the chassis. If Graeme can confirm this id feel a lot safer.

What does everyone else think about car modification? im sure im not the only one that likes a bit of realism sometimes, have myself a nice Shelby driving around my track, that would be awesome.
dvs-626

Re: Car Bodies

Postby Mr Kirmudget » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:30 am

I also would like to have real cars instead of the stock body, it makes the whole experience more realistic if you ask me. I have a little experience with CAD programs, but not nearly enough to make a realistic looking car body, so I think a place to share the bodies others have created is a great idea. And as for swapping the body from a random 1/32 scale model, I'm sure it could be done with a little tinkering. I would be very surprised if this would void the warranty, but I guess we'll have to wait for Graeme to confirm it.
Mr Kirmudget

Postby schoey » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:20 pm

If anyone is keen I'm pretty sure Graeme was happy to share the CAD, it would need a bit of work to get it into the format we need but easy for the right person.

As for existing models, losi do a few 1/32nd scale RC cars this would be a good place to start. Another really good one is Kyosho Mini-Z stuff, they do 1/27, 1/30 and 1/32 with a huge range of really nice scale stuff. It is tricky though even with the right scale you can still be out with wheel arches and different proportions.
Can't wait for my Pro Racing Set Ultimate + Pro-Racing Track Upgrade...

Yep 2 x flyovers :-) !!!
schoey

Postby schoey » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:22 pm

An example of just how good the mini-z stuff is

https://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/ ... _id=109882
Can't wait for my Pro Racing Set Ultimate + Pro-Racing Track Upgrade...

Yep 2 x flyovers :-) !!!
schoey

Postby dvs-626 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Went out to the shops today to finish off my Christmas shopping, popped into every known toy store I could find to compare car body sizes with the Real FX cars.
Couldn't find much that I could pull apart and use the body on the Real FX Chassis, in fact most the cars marked 1:32 looked too small.

In fact the only car I came across that came close to the car body size (wheels matched up and all) was the 007 the Spy who loved me car (shown bottom right).

I didn't buy it at this stage, ill shop around, but would look cool though, most of the cars in that picture would.
dvs-626

Postby martin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:14 pm

I've been thinking about different, scale bodies as well. The problem is the size/postion of the steering servo, and the height of the electronics cover. I don't think there's many scale bodies that would fit. And another issue could be 3D printing itself. I've no experience with it but can it print something like a 2mm thick body, with smooth surfaces?

So for the future, what about a 1/27th or 1/28th chassis such that mini-z bodies could be used. That's not much bigger than current cars, and might offer options like a LiPo pack, and removable wheels.
martin

Postby chad1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:57 pm

I was at my local hobby shop Hobby Bahn when I saw this body, its a Scalextric Bentley Continental GT3. If anybody has one, please let me know it's wheel base and width. If not I will buy one and try it anyway!! :D
Attachments
3awPYuaXjiCj5WFXuyvZDii7E_ikRQ5-xdkKlFz9ZP1Gw1tsl_wD_m6sUk7n6o6ofxZWi6NjqyyD50O2KgUiLNxrofa1HVJWfae3BSxpK7M9RT_DsgIQyl-gLREv-k3GEIRN_qnOlAzgxAKliyKosdmC3mj24gwY3N7U-fezhsdr=w512-h287-nc.jpeg
3awPYuaXjiCj5WFXuyvZDii7E_ikRQ5-xdkKlFz9ZP1Gw1tsl_wD_m6sUk7n6o6ofxZWi6NjqyyD50O2KgUiLNxrofa1HVJWfae3BSxpK7M9RT_DsgIQyl-gLREv-k3GEIRN_qnOlAzgxAKliyKosdmC3mj24gwY3N7U-fezhsdr=w512-h287-nc.jpeg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 5498 times
chad1

Postby chris » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:43 pm

There's a service sheet here: http://www.scalextric.com/us-en/bentley-continental-gt3.html (click on" Downloads" tab)
with a diagram which I presume is to scale but no dimensions and with the perspective it's not easy to measure it, but maybe better than nothing.
chris

Postby chad1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Cheers chris and much appreciated, it's the only 1/32 scale scale body with a front end that seems high enough to clear the servo. I'll get back to you with my findings.
chad1

Postby chad1 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:11 pm

I found the measurements, it wasn't easy so I hope these are correct.
Width: 63mm not including mirrors
Height: 41mm not including antenna.
Wheelbase: 87mm
Length: 156mm
Weight: 93 grams

It seems really close to the RFX measurements what do you guys think?
(If your ever looking at a slot car body and you need measurements go to www.slotcar.co.nz )
chad1

Next

Return to Mods/Upgrades