Hobby or Toy???

Note: Everything in here is DIY and at your own risk, this stuff WILL void your waranty

Moderator: schoey

Hobby or Toy???

Postby Badtoe » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:17 am

cars-1.jpg
Track and practice loop - about 12 secs record so far
cars-1.jpg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
cars-4.jpg
Aston - better fit but new bonnet in aluminium to cover bulky steering box was wrong material
cars-4.jpg (203.3 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
cars-3.jpg
MacLaren F1 body - right wheelbase but way too shallow a body - need to look at fettling the chassis members!!!!
cars-3.jpg (178.43 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
cars-1.jpg
Track and practice loop - about 12 secs record so far
cars-1.jpg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
I bought my first intro set for my grandkids to use at my place - I was so impressed I put the old Scalextric away and bought another and two expansion packs! This is so much more complex than slot racing and more skill is required - but is excellent fun too.
I used to build my own cars and slot-track so started to browse here and decided to buy a couple of slot-bodies from PendleSlots - pics are attached of our track and the cars. They are not very pretty - The MacLaren doesn't fit at all due to the height of the chassis - the Aston I modded to get over the front steering box and extended the wheelbase a bit. Caution - the bonnet extension I did with a bit of Fosters can - this doesn't work as th metal appears to short-circuit between the two retaining screws! I made the holes a bit bigger to get around it for now. I really prefer driving proper cars rather than cartoon ones - the grandkids don't care a jot of course!

I've also tried printing some track - which kind-of works!

I really think this product could obsolete slot racing if the tech became a bit more open.....

I'm going to have a go at modding a chassis to see if it can be made smaller to fit proper bodies better - it would be really great to be able to buy the circuits to fit into a custom chassis! Before the slot guys would even dream of moving on - the driving experience is so much better - a lot would need o happen.
Badtoe

Re: Hobby or Toy???

Postby DarkHorse » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:05 am

Like the bodies 8-).

What are your barriers made from? Are they attached with tape?

I took the barriers thing a bit further for my kids, as you can see in this thread http://realfxforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175&p=954#p954 .

> I really think this product could obsolete slot racing if the tech became a bit more open.....
Yes, I'd love to fiddle with the parameters and custom setups.
To manage car profiles on a laptop and download to the cars via USB or better, direct over WiFi.
Real FX racing rocks! Starter kits now £50 UK Dec 2015

Kids need Track Crash Barriers? Try HotWheels/FastLanes track edges with books, cut credit cards for joins:)

Track Editor.
DarkHorse

Postby Ol Fart » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 pm

I think some kids buy lot of toys just for hobby, play a day or two and then place them in their stock. Other than this I am looking for a toy for my daughter just a 1 year old. I am not getting something special here in Australia! Any idea!
For kids buy Babyzen Yoyo online in Australia at SALE.
Ol Fart

Postby Dash cohen » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:23 pm

I have raced Slot for Decades, and this blows away anything else, toy?, if you want,Hobby? absolutely, Banks, hills, overpasses, the sky is the limit. We paint cars, build safer barriers,and generally have great time, obsession? Yes,
B
Dash cohen

Return to Mods/Upgrades