My First Track

Show us what you've come up with, pictures and PB lap times encouraged.

Moderator: schoey

My First Track

Postby Gacel » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 am

This is my first track. I tried to build something as long as possible, but fits into my room.

The tracks dont match totally, there is a little overlap in the curve at the bottom of the picture (but works anyway).
The track is challenging and fun to drive. There are fast and slow parts. The (inverse) S curve on the left is especially challenging and even the pace car (in expert mode) once lost its track there.

Round time for this track is 7-10s for me. I managed to beat the pace car in expert mode but it was close (mainly because of loosing the track several times.

Now I have to find a way to squeeze a longer track in there....
Gacel

Re: My First Track

Postby jcolls » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Nice layout, given the space. Perhaps move the furniture out in to the hall :?
I'm in a similar situation, more track than floor space.
jcolls

Postby Graeme_RFX » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:52 am

@Gacel
Did you use the special track parts for the flyover 'underpass'? These parts correct for the 'lifting' of the track by the flyover. If you just use regular straights to go underneath the flyover, the ends of the track will not match up exactly
(it looks like this is what has happened from your photo)
To see example layouts with flyover, yo can download this PDF:
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6141287_96047071_832392
Cheers - Graeme
Graeme_RFX

Postby chris » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Graeme,
Two questions related to this topic:
1/ My track ends don't meet as I got a flyover (unexpectedly) in the expansion pack, but no special flyover track, just several standard straights (B). Someone suggested a while back cutting a track piece in the middle and taping it back together. Presumably you don't recommend doing this?

2/ Also, I only got 2 Left curves but several Right curves I guess there's no way make a figure of 8, which needs 3 Left curves, without buying one more Left curve?
Will you be selling them online soon?

Chris
chris

Postby chris » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:20 pm

To answer some of my own questions I think found a solution here: http://www.realfxforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50&p=225#p142 overlapping pieces and cutting new slits, and concentric right hand circles to get round the lack of left curves :)

I'd still be interested to hear about the cutting and the selling extra pieces questions.
chris

Postby Cyril » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:03 am

Hi all,

I decided to post a pic of my first track in this thread too.
RFX layout 1.png
My first track
RFX layout 1.png (153.32 KiB) Viewed 4910 times

I had troubles matching the final pieces of the track as well, until I checked the flyover examples and realized i should use the 'K' parts for the under pass.

I had fun making uneven turns by mixing the 45d and 90d angles, Making it a bit trickier to negotiate at higher speed.
Lap time is in the low 10s with occasional high 9s
My 3 year old son is having a blast controlling them like a slot car (just the speed trigger).

Note to self for next track: build it to run Clockwise (and not counter-clockwise) as I'm still left with a quite a few 90d right turns and no more the left.
Cyril

Postby Rich » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:58 pm

That is one EPIC track :geek:
Rich

Return to Track Layouts