Track Editor

Show us what you've come up with, pictures and PB lap times encouraged.

Moderator: schoey

Re: Track Editor

Postby Gacel » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:53 pm

I updated the Track Editor to 1.0 with several internal changes and some new features.

- number of owned pieces is stored in a seperate options file
- application asks for available pieces at startup
- show only "your" pieces option
- available/used pieces display now uses individual green/black/red display
- undo function
- mirror function
- comments box
- piece editor is hidden, not used for normal user
- several other small changes
Gacel

Postby chris » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:16 am

Thanks!
I, and others, have the Starter kit plus the Backerkit add-on pack, which in fact was actually delivered with even more pieces than advertised. So, selecting just Starter or Pro doesn't work for me. I guess I need to select Starter and then edit pieces.txt in Windows to add the extra track pieces?

Also, I find I am creating more interesting tracks by overlapping pieces so that I can use half or part of some track pieces and angled joins etc but I suppose it would be difficult to cater for this in the program?
For example:

Cheers
chris

Postby Gacel » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:44 pm

If it is as with my delivery you should have gotton 1 extra starter set with the pro. So selecting 2 Starter + 1 Pro should do the trick. If you have broken parts you can edit the options.txt to remove single pieces.

The editor does overlapping at the start/end of the track and displays the difference in angle and distance. Multiple overlaps would be difficult to do in the editor (I will consider this), the goal was to have a tool to create fitting solutions. I agree that a big advantage of RealFX to slot tracks is the option to do inexact tracks with overlapping and I have done it too for some of my tracks.
Gacel

Postby chris » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Perfect. I didn't know about options.txt.

I found it here on my PC:
"C:\Users\c\AppData\Roaming\RealFXTrackEditor\options.txt"
(replace "c" with your Windows user name to find yours)
chris

Postby Wouters » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:20 am

Is the 45 degree turn gonna be available? Love the see what the trackoptions are gonna be!
Wouters

Postby Gacel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:44 am

Hi,

I updated the track editor to the new 2015 pieces and changed version to 1.2.

The starter set is available in some countries now. With the new track lengths and R2 radius creating matching tracks is much simpler. A short introduction to track building is now included in the help menu.

The new tracks are fully compatible with the old ones. You just have to be careful with mixing the length parts (there are now two different "B" pieces), but the track editor can help with that. It supports a special mixed mode for old and new parts (lower case = kickstarter, upper case = new pieces).

To activate the kickstarter pieces:
- exit the editor
- locate the file "options.txt" in the "RealFXTrackEditor" AppData folder, e.g.: for the Admin user this is on Windows 7 "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\RealFXTrackEditor"
- add and save:
[options]
kickstarter=1

The "Pieces|Select your own pieces" menu should now show the kickstarter sets.

The automatch feature is much faster and better now.

Track names and comments should support unicode strings (Russian, Chinese etc).

Lot of small changes.

Same download location:
Windows: http://www.gacel.de/bilder/realfx/TrackEditor.zip
Mac: http://www.gacel.de/bilder/realfx/TrackEditor.app.zip
Gacel

Postby keyholder » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:24 am

Many Thanks :-)

I'm waiting for the new track sets, so that I can build one of these tracks.

Two starter and one crossover: UUBTTTTUUTTVVBBVVTTAATTBTTDBEBBBUUUUBBTTUUUUTTTTTT
Two starter and one crossover: BTTTTUUUUTTTTVVBBVVTTTTUUUUTTTTBTTBDBEBBUUUUBBAATT
Two starter and two crossover: VVWWVVUUTTTTTTUUTTBTTBVVBVVTTBBTTBTTAABDBEBUUBUU
Two starter and twol crossover: VVBVVUUTTTTTTUUTTBTTBVVBVVTTAATTBTTDBEBBBWUUTTUUBUUUUTT
keyholder

Postby chris » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:17 pm

Jens, Thanks for the update.
Just one thing. I notice the images for track pieces B and b (kTrackB.png & TrackB.png) are the same - 500*317. The lengths specified in options.txt are different though, but it doesn't seem to scale the images in the display. Same for A & a.

Cheers,
Chris
chris

Postby Miller » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:10 am

This is really nice, thank you!

Just one request, would it be possible to have an option of metric/standard for the ruler? I'll be using this to design tracks for a 5'x9' ping pong table and it's not easy to see if I'm within the limit.

Thanks again
Miller

Postby DarkHorse » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Handy tool, helped a lot when planning and sizing layouts for a small room, thanks.

I had a software crash that reset all my saved tracks and lost a couple of hours work :shock:.
When my Antivirus moaned about the Application running off into system memory (Comodo).

So if you have a lot of time and effort invested then maybe take regular backup copies of your tracks.txt file, just in case ;).
Windows file path: C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\RealFXTrackEditor\tracks.txt

Edit: Update - Just has an 'Out of memory' dialog popup, restarted the application but it caused all saved tracks to be reset and wiped. Glad I backed up the 'tracks.txt' file a few minutes before ;). I was thrashing the editor a bit with over 50 tracks saved, some quite large.
Last edited by DarkHorse on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Real FX racing rocks! Starter kits now £50 UK Dec 2015

Kids need Track Crash Barriers? Try HotWheels/FastLanes track edges with books, cut credit cards for joins:)

Track Editor.
DarkHorse

PreviousNext

Return to Track Layouts