battery packs

Where should WOW! head with this? No guarantees they'll listen, but lets do some brainstorming.

Moderator: schoey

battery packs

Postby Loki69 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:45 pm

everyone hates batteries, but they are a necessary evil - but a rechargable battery pack would be a good option with maybe a Qi charging option (wireless) so you can just place the car/s on a charge mat and bam ready to go fairly quickly.

or as a alternative something like a phone battery that you can have charging and swap in for instant back to racing time.
Loki69

Re: battery packs

Postby dvs-626 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Also a good suggestion.
It would be nice to have the option. I do like the idea of the wireless charging mat, it seems like an appropriate fit for this system.
dvs-626

Postby schoey » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Definitely something I'll be looking into and I've mentioned to Graeme, here's a cut and paste to save the re-write:

lipo with removable cells, take a look at e-flite for excellent implementation of this method, I would guess the 160mah single cell range would be right for the cars, they package micro helis and planes with simple low cost chargers (fixed to specific battery settings rather than hobby grade adjustable chargers). Their 'msr' heli comes with a charger that can handle 4 x single cells at once, extra batteries are relatively cheap so you can easily have 6 x cells, 4 on charge 2 in the cars, race all day.

A cheaper/simpler option is the usb chargers very common now with the cheap micro quads coming out of China, with a single usb charger I can have 4-5 batteries charged then pretty much fly continuously by cycling through the batteries, if anything it's motor temp that would force a break before ever having to worry about the next battery being ready.

All stuff that already exists, relatively cheap. I mentioned 160mah but you could definitely go quite a bit higher while still fitting I'm sure. I'll be posting here what I come up with.
Can't wait for my Pro Racing Set Ultimate + Pro-Racing Track Upgrade...

Yep 2 x flyovers :-) !!!
schoey

Postby schoey » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Wireless charging is a bit of a gimic IMHO, it's inefficient and adds complication where a simple plug/unplug would suffice.

I wouldn't say no to it mind you, just that it wouldn't be on the top of my priorities. :)
Can't wait for my Pro Racing Set Ultimate + Pro-Racing Track Upgrade...

Yep 2 x flyovers :-) !!!
schoey

Return to Ideas for the future