(graphene) supercapacitor batteries…

Where should WOW! head with this? No guarantees they'll listen, but lets do some brainstorming.

Moderator: schoey

(graphene) supercapacitor batteries…

Postby martin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Assuming these will be available by 2015.. That could be fun, pull in the pits to recharge in seconds. Don’t pull in the pits and performance drops quickly as voltage drops. And a million times rechargeable. Same goes for current supercaps, but still just too bulky, and not enough capacity. Graphene is supposed to improve that by a factor 10-20
Current wise it looks like it's not impossible; cars pull about 1 amp from the batteries (based on 3 hour racing out of 3 AAA’s at 1000mAh each). So if one would like say 10 minutes of racing, and then recharge in 10 seconds, that would be a 60amp charging connection. And the cars electronics would need to be able to handle up to 5.4-5.7V (two cells at 2.7-2.85)
martin

and I just came across this kickstarter project..

Postby martin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 pm

As you might understand from my previous post, I’m not really in favour of batteries.. running alkaline’s gets expensive, and with rechargeables you not only have a 20% lower voltage, but also performance varies between batteries. And as a diver I'm also concerned about the environmental waste issue.

I believe this guy has nailed it:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sh ... le-battery

It uses the first graphene li-ion supercapacitors. These are 3.8V, and can’t go below 2.2V. He’s packed this in size of AAA (and other sizes), and each one contains a chip to regulate the output to 1.5V, as well as to shut if off when the capacitor itself reaches 2.2V.
A bit expensive for now, but I’d like to be a fly on the wall in the HQ’s of Maxwell, Duracell etc.
martin

I'll stop posting for a while..

Postby martin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 am

I looked more into this,way less positive this comment

http://www.eevblog.com/2014/07/28/graph ... tarter-bs/
martin

Return to Ideas for the future