Anybody with electronics experience?

Note: Everything in here is DIY and at your own risk, this stuff WILL void your waranty

Moderator: schoey

Anybody with electronics experience?

Postby Gacel » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:03 am

Hi,

I was thinking about adding LED lights to the cars using the provided USB port.

To check if there is power at all I measured the pins on the port, but I only get 2.5V . From the USB specifications this should be 5V. I am not sure if I do somthing wrong or if this is somthing special with the cars.

The resulting problem is that all White LEDs I found require more than 2.5V which would make this much more complex (step up converter...) than I had planned for (just some LEDs + resistors).

Jens
Gacel

Re: Anybody with electronics experience?

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:24 am

It's odd that it's a plug rather than a socket. I doubt it's anything to do with USB, just using a convenient connector. You could run the LEDs straight from the battery (after the power switch of course).

I wish I had time to stick an oscilloscope on there but I haven't even found the time to play recently. Maybe the guys at Wow would be good enough to let us know what we'll find there. It's not as of we would be hacking to do anything other than improving the product.
Fred

Postby martin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:14 am

I've no electronics experience, but when I was looking at the IR sensors the supply voltage (yellow wire) was 2.5V too. So i think the circuit board works on a regulated 2.5V
martin

Postby Gacel » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:40 am

Yes, it is probably just somthing very USB like. With three batteries (4.5V) it makes sense to run the electronics on a regulated 2.5V. I would prefer to avoid opening the car body to attach the power cables at the battery compartment (that would be last resort). Using the USB plug is so much cleaner and flexible. I will be doing some more tests this weekend and experiment with a 2.5V->5V step up converter (if the ordered stuff arrives in time).
Gacel

Return to Mods/Upgrades